I love pancakes. They are my absolute favorite breakfast food! Sadly though, they usually trigger a severe migraine. I've figured out that milk/dairy products are my biggest migraine trigger. I can only have a small amount of dairy in a week - and no, I'm not lactose. I've had that checked. SO... I've been searching for a recipe for pancakes that tastes good, is light and fluffy but doesn't have milk! Sounds easy, but it's not.
I finally (after a year of
tasting testing batches) found a GREAT milkless pancake recipe!! I did tweek it a little and cut it in half.
Here is what I came up with.
HilyBee's Milkless Pancakes:
1 cup all purpose, unbleached flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 large egg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup water (do not add all at once!)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Indonesian Cinnamon powder (found at Penzey's Spice Shop; optional)
Yield: 5-10 pancakes depending on size
- Measure all dry ingredients into one bowl.
- Add egg, oil, vanilla and HALF of the water - stir with fork until all ingredients are combined.
- Add second half of water and stir with fork. Leave some small lumps.
- Let batter rest; prepare pan - I use a small non-stick skillet.
- Cook on medium heat. Pancakes will not get dark like regular pancakes, they will stay very blonde/light in color.
- Before flipping pancake over, sprinkle with cinnamon. (optional, but tastes amazing!)
- Flip pancake (once small bubbles form on surface) and finish cooking.
- Set on plate to cool slightly; add margarine while still warm
I love this recipe! The pancakes were so light and fluffy, super yummy and didn't give me a migraine. Happy Pancake Day!