I had a few extra ingredients laying around and thought I would make Yosuke a treat. He loves frozen treats! This time I changed the recipe and it was a HUGE success! This is a cost effective way to give your dog (or puppy) a healthy treat with little to no preservatives!
2 Tbsp Natural Peanut Butter
1 Ripe Organic Banana (right before they go bad so they are extra soft and strong)
1/4 C rolled oats
5-10 pieces of Crispix cereal (no-sugar or sodium added variety)
1. Peel the banana; Cut up 2/3 of it and put into a small bowl (I used his food dish); Eat the remaining 1/3
2. Add oats and peanut butter; Stir with spoon until they combine into a gooey mixture
3. Smooth out mixture until smooth on top, filling the entire bottom of the bowl.
4. Sprinkle the top with Crispix cereal pieces
5. Freeze for 30-60 minutes (we did 45 since he loves it to be mostly frozen, but not completely)
6. Serve the treat to your pup while you eat dinner or just as a snack.
You can split up the recipe in little ice cube trays as well (I recommend a silicon tray) for smaller quick treats. Sub in any type of nut butter that your dog might like, just use the natural/less processed versions as much as possible. The recipe can be double or cut in half easily for different portion sizes. This was a "special" treat and Yosuke didn't have a treat of any other kind (crazy right?!) for a whole week. I do not recommend this recipe if your dog has any allergies. If you are watching their weight or helping them lose weight, take out the Peanut Butter OR give them smaller portions.
Yosuke went CRAZY for this treat. It combines all of his favorite foods and it's healthy for him! No more preservatives or fake frozen treats for this little guy. Spoiled? Definitely. Worth it? Definitely - and it's cheaper! I see this being a new fast and easy treat combo for in those hot months or just as a fun little snack whenever. Happy Treat Day!